A miracle in the history
HERMITAGE OF SANTA CATERINA DEL SASSO BALLARO AND MIDEC
VILLA DELLA PORTA BOZZOLO (Casalzuigno) FAI Monument
Clinging to a rock on the Eastern side of Lake Maggiore, the hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso is a place rich in history and spirituality. According to the legend, it was founded in the 12th century by Alberto Besozzi, a rich merchant who survived a storm thanks to Saint Catherine.
The hermitage has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries.
Now it can also be reached by an elevator dug into the rock and it’s still one of the most evocative terrace on the Lake Maggiore.
The tour also includes the visit of the Midec, International Museum of Ceramic Design, near the hermitage. Situated in the 16th century Palazzo Perabò, the museum is a journey into the history of the ceramic industry, which is very famous in Laveno.
This villa of the XVII century, today property of FAI, is one the most famous private rural dwelling of the Varesotto. Further the evocative building’s architecture, the magnificent park worth a visit.
The painted village: an “open-air fresco gallery”. Since 1956, the painters during their holiday, have left their artistic testament. Worthy of attention is also the church consecrated to Saint Ambrogio and the charm of the courtyards of this little village.